There are two main types of scams as follows:
- Scam (fraudulent) emails are increasing at an alarming rate. Scam emails often will try to persuade you to give personal information or to part with money as a payment in order to receive a big prize.
- Fraudsters create false or 'spoof' websites that look very real, with the intention of persuading users to enter personal information such as passwords. They will then use this information to access your Account.
In order to protect yourself from such scams, we would recommend the following:
- Don't click on links in unsolicited emails
- Never send upfront fees to 'claim your prize'
- Never disclose personal information or financial information via email or a 'claims' or 'verification' form.
- If you wish to visit a particular website, always key in the address directly instead of using an embedded link.
Remember, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is!